The Association of
Cambodian Local Economic Development Agencies
Source: ACLEDA, through the Offices of ILO, Bangkok
Who Are We? The Association of Cambodian Local Economic Development Agencies (ACLEDA) is an independent Cambodian Non-Government Organisation. We aim at the raising the standards of living of the poor by promoting economic activities ranging from self-employment and small business, to medium size enterprise. We give priority to disadvantaged groups, such as women heads of household, resettled refugees and the disabled. ACLEDA provides them with the knowledge and resources they need to improve their lives and regain control over their future. ACLEDA has a positive influence on the lives of thousands of people who most need such assistance. Eighty percent of our clients are women. What Services Do We Provide? Nine ACLEDA's provincial branches and six district offices located in Phnom Penh, Battambang, Banteay Meanchey, Siem Reap, Kompong Cham, Takeo, Kompot, Sihanoukville and Pursat, offer services in the following areas:
- Business Opportunity Identification
- Practical training in entrepreneurship and small business management
- Support to development of business plans
- Loans of up to US$4000, for self-employment, micro and small enterprise, as well as agricultural activities
- Establishment of neighbourhood and village banks
- Facilitating access to technical consultancy and credit for medium size enterprises
- Facilitating access to skill training
We are continuing to develop additional activities, to meet the needs and demand of our target' groups. Expansion to two more provinces is planned for early 1997. We also provide other organisations working in local economic development with services in programme development and training of trainers/extension agents.
ACLEDA has been elected by its colleague NGOs to be one of three NGO representatives on the Credit Committee for Rural Development (CCRD). Internationally, ACLEDA represents Cambodia on the NGDO Consortium of the Asian Institute of Technology.
How Do We Operate? The members of ACLEDA are the Cambodians who implement its programme. The organisational structure of ACLEDA consists of a General Assembly, a Board of Directors, an executive Committee, technical staff for consultancy and training, provincial offices and district offices. The branch offices consists of the branch Manager and professional staff for financial and management services to small and micro enterprises and an Administrator. At central level a Revolving Fund Management Committee (RFMC) approves loans above US$4,000 and deliver advises to the Board on financial services. At branch level each office has Local Credit Committee (LCC) which approves loans and advises the RFMC. Each office has an advisory Committee which includes representatives from other organisations that advise on policy matters.
ACLEDA is supported by the UNDP, the ILO, the government of the Netherlands, the European Union, Caisse Franqaise de Developpement, CARERE, UNFPA and the Shell company of Cambodia limited ACLEDA is audited by the chartered accountancy firm Ernst and Young.
What is Our Future? ACLEDA is a local organisation, and its commitment to Cambodia's development is long-term. Its members share the experience necessary to understand the people they assist, and believe in the work they do. There is a strong demand for our services, and a long-term potential to become self- financing. It is ACLEDA's strategy to continue its expansion as a financial institution to provide high quality and market-oriented financial services and management services to substantial numbers of the poor in Cambodia.
If you would like to know more about ACLEDA and our services, please contact us at our Phnom Penh office:
House #132, Street 163, Toul Tumpong I,
Khan Chamcar Mon, Phnom Penh,
Tel: 855 - 23 - 364619
Fax: 855 - 23 - 364914 / 427632.
ACLEDA is supported by:
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Government of the Netherlands
- European Union (EU)
- Caisse Franqaise de Developpement (CFD)
- SHELL Company of Cambodia
- International Labour Organisation (ILO)
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
- Cambodia Resettlement and Reintegration Programme (CARERE)
- New Zealand Government
ACLEDA collaborates with:
- Partnership for Development in Cambodia (PADEK)
- United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO)
- Ministry of Industry, Mines and Energy
- Ministry of Rural Development.
- Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft (CDG) Asian Institute of Technology (AIT)
- World Bank (WB)
- Credit Committee for Rural Development (CCRD)
- Ministry of Women Affairs (MoWA)
Hari Srinivas - email@example.com
Return to the ACLEDA Page
Return to the Virtual Library on Microcredit