|Networks and Networking - Community Organizing
The following definitions of "community organizing" was taken from COMM-ORG, the Online Conference on Community Organizing and Development. It is interesting to look at it from the point of view of networking.
- community organizing is about how people without power
get power, both as individuals and as a community.
- community organizing is also about building relationships,and sometimes this is its primary goal.
- community organizing begins in a local area, often
as small as a neighborhood.
- community organizing builds on shared experience - rooted in a place or a cultural identity.
- community organizing, when it succeeds, often leads to development activities and/or larger social movements.
Many papers, and other resource on community organizing can be found in the COMM-ORG webpage