5. FORTHCOMING EVENTS AND DOCUMENTS OF INTEREST
5.1 Forthcoming events of interest
- December 1-12, 1997 Tools to support women enterpreneurs, Haiti
Organised by Women's Microenterprise Network, sponsored by the Save the Children through a grant from USAID's Microenterprise Best Practices (MBP) project.
The workshop aims to train practitioners how to use tools and techniques to analyse barriers to women microenterpreneurs and to design and manage field-tested tools to help the women overcome their problems, such as gaining access to growing markets, raw materials and market information.
The cost in Haiti is US$935, which includes breakfast, lunch, workshop material and field visits.
This is not the first such workshop and presumably not the last.
- EC/NGO microfinance conference at the beginning of 1998
DG VIII (Decentralised cooperation, NGOs) plans a conference on microfinance for the beginning of 1998 and would welcome a gender input in the preparation of the meeting and in the meeting itself as indicated by Mandouze and O'Brien.
The output of the conference has not yet been decided but could be a checklist for EC officials and guidelines for NGOs.
- March 1998 Gender and microfinance, Harare, Zimbabwe
Led by Linda Mayoux and funded by HIVOS. Non-residential cost is estimated at US$200 per participant.
5.2 Forthcoming documents of interest
- December 1997: Guidelines for credit and savings projects (mainly concerning microfinance), following a major evaluation of rural credit and savings projects funded by the EC (IRAM).
- End 1997: Women's empowerment and micro-finance programmes: approaches, evidence and ways forward, Linda Mayoux.
- End 1997: World Bank/CGAP practical manual on microfinance which covers gender issues.
- 1998: Council Resolution in support of gendered microfinance.
- 1998?: Impact studies contracted by DFID from the Institute of Development Studies at the University of Nairobi with support from Bath University (Dr Alastair McGregor of James Copestake at CDS).
- End 1998: Initial results concerning trials on impact assessment proxies under the AIMS project (USAID).
- Late 1998: Policy guidelines for the mobilization of small savings and reporting standards for savings mobilization, CGAP Working Group.
- On-going: Consultative Group to Assist the Poorest (CGAP): best practice papers on specific microfinance issues (some of which are already available on Internet).
- Expected date not known: Gender and Microfinance: guidelines for best practice, Susan Johnson (first draft 10 August 1997).
- Expected date not known: Cost-effective strategies to non-financial services, GEMINI APR3 Research Working Document, 1995)
Annex 1: BIBLIOGRAPHY
Below is listed the literature used for writing the report and/or considered important in the context of gendered microfinance. All the reviewed literature, however, is not listed.
The literature preceded with an asterix * has been selected for further reading.
- BADEN, S; GOETZ, AM; GREEN, C and GUHATHAKURTA, M (1994) Background to Gender Issues in Bangladesh, commissioned by DFID and based on research by GOETZ, AM, BRIDGE report No 26
- BERGER, M and BUVINIC, M (1989) Women's Ventures, Assistance to the Informal Sector in Latin America, Kumarian Press, Inc.
- CONLIN, S (July 1997) Microfinance and Poverty Reduction, Non-paper for discussion in the European Union Member States' Expert Group
- DANIELS, L; MEAD, DC and MUSINGA, M (September 1995) Employment and income in micro and small enterprises in Kenya, results of a 1995 survey,
Research paper N°26, Kenya Rural Enterprise Programme, Nairobi
- DHONTE, R (Juillet 1997) Contribution à la définition d'une STRATEGIE DE CREDIT pour la CE
- DHONTE, R with BARON,C; FOURMAINTRAUX, A; RABES, J; RISACHER, J and STAMPA, N (November 1994) Evaluation of credit and savings projects cofinanced by the European Commission with NGOs, AXE
- GEMINI, (1995) GEMINI's ARP3 Research Working Document, USAID from USAID's Microenterprise Development Briefs Number 5
- * GENTIL, D (version provisoire Août 1997) Evaluation des interventions de la Commission Européenne en matière d'épargne-crédit rural, Phase II: Synthèse des études de cas, IRAM
- GENTIL, D et NIEUWKERK, M (19 Septembre 1997) Microfinance pour les exclus des services financiers
- * GOETZ, AM and SEN GUPTA R (1996) Who Takes The Credit? Gender, Power and Control over Loan Use in Rural Credit Programmes in Bangladesh, World Development, Vol 24 No 1 pp 45-63
- GTZ (draft 1997?) Comparative Analysis of Savings Mobilization Strategies, CGAP Working Group
- HAVERS, M (May 1996) Financial sustainability in savings and credit programmes, Development in Practice, Volume 6, Number 2 pp 144-150
- * HULME, D (revised draft 27/3/1997) Impact Assessment Methodologies for Micro-Finance: A Review CGAP Working Group Impact Assessment Methodologies, Report of Virtual Meeting of 7-19 April 1997
- * HULME, D and MOSLEY, P (1996) Finance Against Poverty London: Routledge, Volume 1 and 2
- Interregional Training Seminar Report (1990) on How to improve banking for rural women, Nicosia, Cyprus, 19-30 November 1990, MIM, IFAD, INSTRAW
- * JOHNSON, S and ROGALY, B (1997) Microfinance and Poverty Reduction, Oxfam and Action Aid
- JOHNSON, S (draft, 14 August 1997) Gender and Microfinance: guidelines for best practice
- KAGAMI, M (March 95) Strategies for competitiveness in production - an East Asian approach, Small enterprise Development, Volume 6, Number 1, pp 24-34
- KANE, K; WALSH, M and NELSON, C (March 1991) A case for business training with women's groups, Small Enterprise development Vol 2 N°1, p13-19
- KANT, E (1995?) Inheritance for African Women: Changing the Custom takes more than a Law Alone, based on a contribution from EKEJIUBA, F and KHARONO, E, pp 55-58, Femconsult
- LEFGERWOOD, J and BURNETT, J (November 1995) Individual micro-lending research project, A case study review, ADEMI, The Dominican Republic, Calmeadow
- LIEDHOLM, C and MEAD, D ( September 1995) The Dynamic role of Micro and Small Enterprises in the Development Process, Action Research Program I, GEMINI Project source used in USAID Microenterprise Development Brief, Number 24, September 1995
- MAYOUX, L (1995) From Vicious to Virtuous Circles? Gender and Micro-Enterprise Development, UNRISD Occasional Paper No 3 for the Fourth World Conference on Women, Beijing 1995
- MAYOUX, L (1997) Impact Assessment and Women's Empowerment in Micro-finance Programmes: Issues for a Participatory Learning and Action Approach, paper produced for CGAP virtual meeting on Impact Assessment of Micro-Finance programmes, of 7-19 April 1997
- * MAYOUX, L (draft July 1997) Women's Empowerment and Micro-Finance Programmes: Approaches, evidence and ways forward, for pilot project: Micro-finance programmes and women's empowerment: strategies for increasing impact
- MEHRA, R; DROST-MAASRY, A and RAHMAN, R (1995) Credit for women: Why is it important?, International Research and Training Institute for the Advancement of Women (INSTRAW)
- MONIMART, M; HALATINE, ZW; HAÏDARA MAÏGA, L and D'URSO, G (9-11 Juin 1997) RAPPORT DE L'ATELIER INTERNE: L'intégration des questions de genre dans la coopération MALI-UE", Consultantes KIT
- MOSER, CON (1993) Gender planning and development, Theory, practice & training, Routledge
- MUSSOW, N (Mars 1996) Programme d'appui aux initiatives des femmes de MOPTI (Mali), rapport d'étude sur l'évolution de la situation socio-économique des membres Centre International de Développement et de la Recherche (CIDR)
- * NELSON, C; MkNELLY, B; STACK, K and YANOVITCH, L (1996) Village Banking, THE STATE OF PRACTICE, UNIFEM
- OLNEY, G and BINNS, HM (1997) Evaluation of interventions by the European Commission in the field of rural savings and credit, phase 2, Case studies in Kenya, Uganda and Zambia, Rural Investment Overseas
- OTERO, M. and E. RHYNE (eds) (1994) The New World of Microenterprise Finance: Building healthy financial institutions for the poor, IT Publications, London
- PARKER, JC and TORRES, TR, (March 1993) Micro and small enterprise in Kenya : results of the 1993 National Baseline Survey, K-Rep research paper N°24, Kenya Rural Enterprise Programme, Nairobi
- RHYNE, E and HOLT, S (July 1994) Women in Finance and Enterprise Development, The World Bank, Education and Social Policy Department, ESP Discussion Paper Series N°40
- * ROGALY, B (May 1996) Micro-finance evangelism, 'destitute women', and the hard selling of a new anti-poverty formula, Development in Practice, Volume 6, Number 2 pp 100-112
- SCHLUTER, SR; HASHEMI, SM and RILEY, AP (draft 20 MARCH 1997) MEN'S VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN IN RURAL BANGLADESH: UNDERMINED OR EXACERBATED BY MICROCREDIT PROGRAMS?
- SUBBARAO, K and others (1994) Enhancing Women's Participation in Economic Development, A World Bank policy paper
- * SCHNEIDER, H (eds) (1997) Microfinance for the Poor, IFAD/OECD
- SIANI, L (Octobre 1993) Evaluation des effets économiques du crédit rural, Projet Crédit Agricole et Rural de Guinée, IRAM
- WEIDERMANN, JC (1992) "Financial Services for Women" Tools for Microenterprise Programs: Financial Assistance Section, GEMINI Project used in GEMINI Best Practices Workshop (May 1995) Workshop Outline, Nairobi, Kenya
- WOMEN AND CREDIT UNIONS, (20 June 1991) papers presented at the 1991 International Credit Union Forum Information Session
Return to the Contents page
Return to the Virtual Library on Microcredit