NGOs, NGDOs and CBOs|
An NGO is . . .
an independent, flexible, democratic,secular, non-profit people's organization working for and/or assisting in the empowerment of economically and socially, marginalized groups.
Many of the terms listed below represent a soul-searching on the part of NGOs to define themselves in terms of their organizational and operational frameworks:
- BINGO: Business and Industry NGO
- BONGO: Business Organized NGO
- CBO: Community Based Organization
- CONGO: Community Organized Non-governmental Organization
- DONGO: Donor Organized Non-governmental Organization
- ENGO: Environmental NGO
- GONGO: Government Organized Non-Governmental Organization
- NGO: Non-Governmental Organizations
- NGDO: Non-Governmental Development Organization
- NPO: Non-profit Organization
- PDO: Private Development Organization
- PSO: Public Service Organization
- PVO: Private Voluntary Organization
- QANGO: Quasi Non-governmental Organization
- VALG: Voluntary Agency/Organization
- VO: Voluntary Organization
- Multiple sources, cited in different articles, brochures and websites.
Return to the NGO Page
Comments and suggestions:
Hari Srinivas - email@example.com