THE AMERICAN SOCIETY OF TRAVEL AGENTS
TEN COMMANDMENTS ON ECO-TOURISM
- Respect the frailty of the earth. Realize that unless all are
willing to help in its preservation, unique and beautiful
destinations may not be here for future generations to enjoy.
- Leave only footprints. Take only photographs. No graffiti!
No litter! Do not take away souvenirs from historical sites
and natural areas.
- To make your travels more meaningful, educate yourself
about the geography, customs, manners and cultures of the
region you visit. Take time to listen to the people. Encourage
local conservation efforts.
- Respect the privacy and dignity of others. Inquire before
- Do not buy products made from endangered plants or
animals, such as ivory, tortoise shell, animal skins, and
feathers. Read Know Before You Go, the U. S. Customs list of
products which cannot be imported.
- Always follow designated trails. Do not disturb animals,
plants or their natural habitats.
- Learn about and support conservation-oriented programs
and organizations working to preserve the environment.
- Whenever possible, walk or use environmentally-sound
methods of transportation. Encourage drivers of public
vehicles to stop engines when parked.
- Patronize those (hotels, airlines, resorts, cruise lines, tour
operators and suppliers) who advance energy and
environmental conservation; water and air quality; recycling;
safe management of waste and toxic materials; noise
abatement, community involvement; and which provide
experienced, well-trained staff dedicated to strong principles
- Encourage organizations to subscribe to environmental
guidelines. ASTA urges organizations to adopt their own
environmental codes to cover special sties and ecosystems.
Travel is a natural right of all people and is a crucial
ingredient of world peace and understanding. With that right
comes responsibilities. ASTA encourages the growth of
peaceful tourism and environmentally responsible travel.
American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA),
1101 King Street, Suite 200,
Alexandria, VA 22314;